The original Sacred Heart Cathedral parish church was built in the early 1900’s by Father Julliard. He remained pastor until 1910. In 1916 a side wall of the original church caved in. In 1917 a new church was build facing Hill Street between 4th and 5th Streets. This church served the parish until the present Cathedral was built in 1955 at 415 East Green Avenue. The Franciscan Friars served the parishioners of Sacred Heart Cathedral Parish through June 1981. The first diocesan rector of Sacred Heart Cathedral was Father Alfred Tachias appointed on July 1, 1981.